Strensall with Towthorpe LTC:
Information For Team Captains:
Team captains should demonstrate good communication and organisational skills and play at an appropriate standard for that squad.
Being a captain is not a way of ensuring a squad place. Once appointed, team captains have the following responsibilities:
1. Squad selection:
- Squad size for all teams will be no larger than 10 players.
- Captains will be given a list of members who have completed the team selection form stating a wish to play team tennis and their availability.
- Captains of York league teams should then contact the respective players and offer at least TWO dates for selection trials.
- Trials should be conducted in a timely fashion with respect to the commencement of league matches.
- All team captains should set a meeting date for squad selection.
- Once a player has been selected for any squad, should they decline the place, they will go on the reserve list.
- Captains should confirm their squads in a timely fashion.
- The captain of the higher team should contact the team captain of the lower team to allow swift progression of the process. This is especially relevant for mixed teams.
- Once ALL squads have been confirmed, lists can be published on the club website and in the clubhouse.
- Ensure squad members have paid their subscriptions.
2. League Matches:
"To be responsible for team selection from your squad."
- Once chosen, a member of the squad who is available for play must not be replaced by another member from outside the squad unless the squad member withdraws.
- In the event of player shortages, first consult the reserve list for an appropriate player, then liase with other captains for free and untied players.
- It should only be in exceptional circumstances that a team player plays more than one mixed match or mens/ladies match in a week.
- Display team sheets on clubhouse notice board one week prior to match day wherever possible and share on your squad WhatsApp group.
- Captains may agree to communicate via email.
- The aim is to ensure all are aware of which players are free to be approached to act as a reserve in a given week.
3. Responsibilities at Home Matches:
- Ensure new balls are available and nets are the correct height prior to the match commencing.
- Captains will receive enough balls for the season prior to the first match.
- Complete the scorecard and send to League match secretary. In event of captain not being present, assign a deputy to carry out this role and confirm with the team captain once completed.
- Be aware of the rules for matches in your League.
- Collect match fees (£3) for both home and away matches and pay all match fees to the club treasurer (Ross Welsh) no later than one week from the season ending.
- Co-ordinate refreshments and travel arrangements for visiting team and make notes of numbers/contact details of visiting team captains as the season progresses.
4. Responsibility for Cancelled or Postponed Matches:
- Please set new date asap after cancellation.
- Notify club match secretary (Ben Orton) of any change in fixtures and date of rescheduling.
- Inform League match secretary of new date.
- Note that in many leagues there are specific rules regarding reorganisation of matches.
- Adhere to these wherever possible when deciding on a new date for the rearranged fixture. If unsure, contact league secretary for permission directly.
- Also be aware of regulations regarding submission of results . The club may receive a fine in the event of illegible/late submission of result cards.
In accordance with good practice and our safeguarding obligations at the club, all team captains will need to be DBS checked via the LTA.
Head Coach, Ben Orton will collate individual DBS numbers and dates of issue from all who have had a DBS check in the past 3 years and provide information for those who need to apply. The club will reimburse the cost of this check.
Once applied for via the internet, part 2 of the check requires your identity to be confirmed by a registered LTA DBS checker. Please see below:
*** DBS FORMS CAN BE CHECKED BY HEAD COACH, BELINDA TURNBULL AT POPPLETON LAWN TENNIS CLUB - (speak to Ben Orton for more details and to get in touch with Belinda ***
For further information on team selection, please contact Head Coach and Match Secretary, Ben Orton or Chair, Ross Welsh:
Head Coach / Match Secretary:
Ben Orton 07538508923
TEAM SELECTION FORMS:
Dear member ,
The team selection form is now available to complete.
This form is available electronically below, and a few paper copies are in the clubhouse.
Please contact me if you would like to discuss any aspect of team tennis.